Corporate and Commercial Law
Corporate Finance and Securities
Commercial Real Estate
Geoff focuses primarily on corporate-commercial law, commercial real estate, securities and aboriginal law in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. He represents a large number of business clients, First Nations, aboriginal-owned businesses and institutional clients.
Geoff has considerable experience with the negotiation and drafting of a wide variety of financing and security documentation. He acts for both institutional lenders and private lenders and for borrowers in both real and personal property secured financing transactions.
Representative transactions include:
- Restructuring of aboriginal-owned corporate group to take advantage of a limited partnership structure
- Privatisation of a community owned aboriginal business
- Partnerships between an aviation client and a number of aboriginal groups in the Northwest Territories
- Amalgamation of operating corporations of a private corporate group and reorganization of the corporate group
- A variety of acquisitions and dispositions of businesses and assets
Saskatchewan 1985 (non-practising member since 1989)
Northwest Territories 1989
University of Regina (B.A. 1983)
University of Saskatchewan (J.D. 1984)
Professional Memberships and Community Involvement
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association since 1985.
- Board of the Canadian Lawyers Insurance Association, from 1993 to 2004, Chair of the Audit Committee and a member of the Loss Prevention Committee.
- Board of the Canadian Bar Insurance Association, from 1998 to 2004, as a member of the Product Development Committee and the Claims Underwriting and Policy Interpretation Committee.
- Member and Past Chair of the Law Society/NWT CBA LLP and Professional Corporations Committee.
- Various NWT Law Society committees over the years such as Rules, Finance, Ethics and Insurance. Currently participating on finance and insurance committees.
- Director of the Yellowknife Community Foundation from 1993 to 2000, holding the position of Secretary/Treasurer. Helped to incorporate the Foundation.
- Past member of the Vestry of Holy Trinity Anglican Church 1996 to February 2002; Assistant Rector’s Warden in 1997 and Rector’s Warden from October 1998 to February 2002.
- Director of the Side Door Youth Ministries, an organization for young people in Yellowknife from 1997 to 2000. Helped to incorporate this society. Occasionally provide pro-bono legal advice to the Board.
- Yellowknife Coast Guard Auxiliary member from 2003 to 2010. Acted as treasurer for the years 2006-2007.
- Marine Rescue Society member from 2003 to 2010. Acted as treasurer for the years 2006-2007.